Friday, July 17, 2009

Making Pesto

Every summer I make a ton of pesto. I gave up on growing my own basil years ago but I've found a few farm stands where I can get it wicked cheap. There's one on in Hatfield where I can get a giant bunch for 75 cents! The above leaf is huge and I'm beginning to suspect it's not organic... but it's very fresh and cheap.

My ingredients all lined up and ready to go. The recipe I use is from the Silver Palate Cookbook.
As you can see, I use 365 products. They're good quality and economical.

Basil, walnuts, and garlic in the Cuisinart Food Processor, then blend until it's all blended together. I love my food processor. Thank you, Trevor!
Add olive oil in a slow stream.

Add cheese, salt and black pepper and combine.


Put into little containers and freeze. I'm still using up last summer's batch. I also give it to friends. They appreciate it. It's great to have pesto on hand.

Do your dishes!

3 comments:

Emmy said...

If you feel like you need to unload some homemade pesto, I would be happy to take it off your hands! Looks delicious!!!

Myrrh Brooks said...

As a previous recipient of the gloriousness of Nancy's pesto, I must add that it is even better than it looks!

sunny side up said...

Nancy, you and i have something in common. I made a huge batch last night, i eat it all the time, but the freezing small containers of it is something i need to try, i love the idea of having some come January!