Wednesday, September 9, 2009

My First Commissioned Piece


My friend, Bob Perry, is one of the owners of the Elephant Walk restaurants in the Boston area. He's also treasurer of the Fryeburg New Church Assembly . This summer at camp he asked me to crochet a scarf for his wife, Geraldine. The scarf that he wanted was the Curly Scarf in the Chicks with Sticks Guide to Crochet. I donated a scarf to the sales table auction at camp this summer but he thought the yarn was going to be too itchy for Geraldine who has very sensitive skin (I could relate). I happened to have a ball of Plymouth Baby Alpaca Brush Paint in my bag. It's 80% baby alpaca and 20% nylon. He really liked the colors (none of the ones on the Web's page) and so we decided that I'd make the scarf with that yarn. He also told me he'd pay me for my time.

While we were in the NEK for our long weekend, made extra long when I realized we didn't need to go home on Monday, I worked on the scarf. I spent about 2 hours working on it. Pretty much the entire time was spent sitting on the deck in the sun crocheting. It doesn't get much better for me. Sitting in the sun on the beach crocheting is how it gets better.

When I was done, I took several pictures, as you may guessed. I emailed Bob when I got home to tell him the scarf was done. I sent him several photos. He said, "I love the scarf - and I L O V E the photo presentation! Very creative; very cool!" We agreed on a price ($40) and I mailed the scarf today.

Now I'm thinking about how I can do more of that...

1 comment:

Katie said...

That tree is both stylish and cozy.

Maybe you could join Etsy.com There are small and large-volume creators there.

get a load of this word verification I got:
bughterm