Friday, March 12, 2010

The not-really-a-break Spring Break



I've been on Spring Break this week! Woo hoo! Or is it boo hoo? It's true, I don't have classes on Saturday of this week. However, I still have plenty to do. This is how I've spent my spring break:
  • Instead of getting right back to work on Monday morning I took the day off from schoolwork and got busy with writing the registration form for camp. It needed to be done by March 1st. OOPS.
  • I went to the gym on Monday morning because I could. The sauna was so toasty warm I almost fell asleep in there.
  •  On Tuesday I started researching for an upcoming paper due on 3/20. 
  • Volunteered at Hatfield Public Library Tuesday afternoon.
  • Wednesday morning found me back at the research. Finally settled on a topic and emailed my prof. She's so excited (?!) about my topic (RFID in libraries) that she wants me to present to the class. I'm pretty excited about my topic too but now I'm wishing I'd picked something dull and ordinary.
  • Paid bills, filled out paper work for health insurance from the Commonwealth, mailed my passport for renewal. ($75!) Cleaned off my desk in the process. Have you ever noticed how your virtual desktop is far easier to keep tidy than your physical desktop?
  • We went to the annual spring flower show at Smith College on Wednesday afternoon (see tulips). It was such a lovely afternoon we took a walk along the Mill River in Northampton after sniffing flowers. And because I wasn't in a huge hurry to get home we went to the Forbes Library while we were in the neighborhood. I picked up a cute-looking graphic novel I was hoping to read this weekend but Mom's visiting so I don't think that'll happen.
  • Trevor had a meeting on Wednesday night so I plopped myself on the couch and watched Jon Hamm (of Mad Men) host SNL on Hulu.com on my new MacBook. It was really funny! 
  • Thursday morning I was back at the research. Saved all the articles I want to print to my flash drive and drove to South Hadley to take advantage of the free printing at the GSLIS office. Ate my lunch while printing articles for the paper due 3/20. Chatted with a fellow student who was also experiencing a not-really-a-break break. 
  • I got my hair cut! Found a stylist at Ochoa in South Hadley who is trained in the curly girl method of cutting hair. 
  • Went to the gym Thursday on my way back from the haircut. Went to the co-op after the gym on my way home. 
That's it so far. This is my plan for next week:
  • Read about a dozen articles ranging in length from 1-21 pages for the paper due 3/20. 
  • Write the 5 page single-spaced paper due 3/20.
  • I'm still researching my topic for a short assignment due 3/20. 
  • Study for exam on 4/3.
  • Read the usual chapters and articles for classes on 3/20.
Looking forward to my "real" break when the semester is over on May 8th!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Busy "break"!

The newly-renovated main office of the Cambridge Public Library has RFID tags in all their books. Maybe that'd be useful to you as an example or to learn from their story.

They have "self checkout" stations, where you can check out your books by scanning your card (with a barcode reader) and then laying your books on an RFID reader pad. Pretty cool I think. Last time I was there I got 8 books, and plopped them all on the scanner at once. It got the 6 closest to the bottom of the stack. Now I'm curious if the limiting factor is proximity, or if it can only handle 6 tags nearby. Maybe next time I can find 8 really thin books :)

Nancy Little said...

That's cool, Jason. CPL's website is lousy so I couldn't find anything out about their use of RFID. However, the library literature databases are overflowing with info. Since I'm more interested in academic libraries for this assignment, a public library's use of RFID isn't of much use. I did learn that UConn and UNLV are using RFID. I'm sure there are others. It can be quite cost-prohibitive for large with large collections. I'd like to see it in action though. Maybe next I'm in Cambridge.