Sunday, February 26, 2012

Hooked Again

So, I took a break from this blogging thing and I'm still not sure I want to continue you it. I started a new job in September. I can actually call myself a librarian. It's part-time and the pay is pretty good so I'll take it for now. My search for full-time work continues.

I've been crocheting again! I'd been wanting to try felting again after trying it out a few (?!) years ago. Back then I made a felted bowl and was somewhat pleased with it for a first felting project. But I wanted to have a sturdier bowl or basket to hold and keep my projects handy in our living room. I came across a pattern on Ravelry (where else does one find patterns?) for a felted crochet hook vase. I made it and was happy with its sturdiness. 

I also made this cute hook case. It's going to be a gift for someone. It was really easy.

This weekend I made a felted basket. That's what I'm calling it. I used the same pattern that I used for the vase but this time I made the base wider and the sides shorter. I used 4 strands of yarn (100% wool) and half-double crocheted the 4 strands using a P size hook. The last 2 rows are 3 strands of yarn, with an N size hook. The second-to-last round is in single crochet, the final round is done in slip stitch. I'm pleased with how it came out.
Here it is after a trip through the washing machine. It shrank a few inches.

 Here it is again looking cute. The radiator in the playroom is a good place for it to hang out while it dries. I've stuffed it with plastic bags to help maintain its shape.

Then I finished up my fingerless mitts! My favorite pair of fingerless mitts that I made a couple of years ago went missing. These are crocheted in half-double crochet through the back loop only to give them a ribbed look. I used Debbie Bliss Cashmerino. To take this picture I used my new Gorilla tripod that was a gift from my hubby.
Here are the fingerless mitts again. Charcoal grey is one of my new favorite colors.

No comments: