Wednesday, April 8, 2009

When to Use Your Feminine Wily Ways...

In a moment of complete distraction, apparently (this is the part that I'm still not sure of...) I failed to stop at the stop sign on the corner of Linseed Road and Route 5/10. If you've been to our house you know that as the stop sign in front of our house. I was speeding down Route 5/10 thinking about was I somehow going to squeeze in a trip to the Hatfield transfer station, that is only open Wed from 12-5 and Sat from 8 - 12 noon, and since I go to school on Saturdays that pretty much rules out Saturday. So Wednesday it is! They open at noon on Wednesdays so if I can I drive there at a little before noon and then have a quick lunch at the co-op before heading to Springfield for 1pm for my weekly volunteer job there at the Central Library, it all works out nicely. I'd made an earlier attempt at going to the transfer station (Remember when it was called The Dump?) only to find that the railroad crossing gate was down across Chestnut Street (the easiest and quickest route to the Hatfield transfer station) with no train in sight! I turned around and headed home. I called Trevor to tell him I wasn't going to be able to go today and could he meet me to take the tub back in the house only to discover that his phone was disconnected! So at this point I had to go home to alert him about his phone status or lack there of...and was a little tiny bit worried and distracted about the situation since he's spent the past 3 or 4 days working on all this paper work for housing court for the big giant asshole of a housemate that we're taking to housing court, and who is moving out, by bicycle (but that's another story...). So I left and, apparently, as I said didn't stop at that stop sign in front of my house. Like, I don't know it's there??? Well, maybe it was a Missouri rolling stop. But since I've lived my entire life in Massachusetts I can't really say it was a Missouri rolling stop. I always stop at that stop sign. Suddenly there's a siren and blue lights flashing behind me! Being the good citizen that I am, I pulled over. Only to discover that I was being pulled over!

So it was the usual... "How are you ma'am?" (Yes, I'm that old...) Me: fine.
"License and Registration... Was there some kind of emergency?" (Biting my tongue.... well, the transfer station is only open from 12-5 on Wednesday and I can't go on Saturday because I go to school on Saturday....) What a really said was, "No, I'm just having a bad day." And then out of nowhere, the waterworks started. Trembling voice, shaking and everything! He asks me how my driving record is, I say "excellent". He walks to his cruiser to call it in and meanwhile I wait patiently in the car... the loser housemate goes pedaling by on his bicycle toting a trailer of belongings behind him. Oh, the humiliation!
The waterworks, trembling voice and admitting I was having a "bad day" worked because I got off with a written warning. I'm sure having an "excellent" driving record helps.

No comments: