Monday, April 7, 2008

Gunn Brook Falls and some really cool rocks


Trevor & I took our housemate, Rowan (age 9), to a couple of waterfalls this afternoon. Spring is the ideal time to visit waterfalls. This one is in Sunderland, MA. It's called Gunn Brook Falls. We visited it a couple of years ago in September and it was just a trickle. Today it was really flowing.
The geologist in me really likes it there because it's where I can see contact between the Mt. Toby Conglomerate and the Turners Falls Sandstone (drool). It's awesome. I have to fight the urge to start the geo-speak with the 9 year-old. Lithified? HUH? Cement? HUH? Alluvial fan? HUH? Contact?
Instead, I say things like, "sure, that could be a fossil" and "yes, that's granite" and "it's quartz". (Not likely but if you want to believe that you go right ahead. I'm not going to ruin your afternoon.)
When we were done at Gunn Falls we drove over to Roaring Brook Falls in Leverett. The path was snow and small pond-covered. The sun was setting behind Mt. Toby so the light wasn't very good for photos so no photos of Roaring Brook Falls today. I'll have to get there before noon for good photos. Again, another opportunity to drool over the Mt. Toby Conglomerate. (I'm such a nerd!)

No comments: