Thursday, June 19, 2008

What I've been doing lately...

This may actually come as a surprise to some of you, but, I've actually been quite busy lately! Yes, it's true. Here's what I've been doing (besides garden tours and visiting waterfalls):
  • I'm in the process of applying to Simmons College Graduate School of Library and Information Science with the intention of earning an Masters in Library Science. I want to be a Science Librarian. I've requested transcripts from all 3 colleges (makes me regret that decision...) and begged 3 people to write letters of recommendation and now I'm working on my "personal statement of career goals". I set up an admissions interview for next Thursday.
  • I applied for 3 Library Assistant jobs: one at UMass (see tale of woe about that one titled "Losing My Cool"), one at Westfield State College, and one at Springfield College. The one that seems to fit me best is at Sprinfield College and I just mailed the resume and cover letter yesterday so I'm sure it'll be while before I hear anything on that one.
  • I attended a Cover Letters workshop at the Northampton Career Center. It was excellent. Who would have thought that someone can talk about cover letters for 90 minutes and have it not be boring? The woman who does these workshops is so good at it that I signed up for an Interview Workshop next Tuesday. I really need help in this area. I hate interviews!
  • I'm working on a Labor Market Inquiry into the fields of science librarianship, and my former job in plant tissue culture. My career counselor at the Career Counselor assigned me this arduous task to document these 2 fields in an effort to get me some funding for grad school. I'm enrolled in a federal program called Workforce Investment Act (WIA) because I was permanently laid off from my position at Nourse Farms and lucky for me, the only other plant tissue culture lab in all of Massachusetts is in Sudbury, MA. If I present a good case I may get some, certainly not all, not even close, of my MLS paid for by the federal government. Don't you just love government? (no)
  • I made an appointment with Maxine Schmidt, micropaleontologist, geologist, librarian at UMass and Simmons alum to chat with her about being a science librarian. I met her tomorrow at 10AM.
  • Saturday is my good friend, Beki Phinney's wedding in Rhode Island. I'm very happy for her. I even painted my toe nails and bought a new dress for the occasion!

No comments: