Friday, January 23, 2009

New Yarn

A skein of Malabrigo silky merino yarn (if you actually follow the link it's "Vienna") arrived in the mail yesterday. That and a new bra, which is also exciting but I won't write about the new bra. Don't think that it's because I can't write about a bra, because I certainly can. Believe me, I know a thing or two about bras.

It's all about the new yarn. Now, this skein (actually, technically, it's a hank, but let's not get all techy about yarn for the moment), is the most beautiful yarn in my stash. It's so soft and the colors are gorgeous. They're all "Nancy" colors if you know what that means. If you don't it means they're browns, oranges, tans, etc. Did I mention it's silky? The yarn is 50% silky and 50% merino. The yarn arrived in the middle of the afternoon right when I needed a break from the Technology Orientation Requirement that I'm attempting to complete before classes start on 1/31. Everything is due on 2/15 but I just want to get it out of the way so I can focus on my coursework.

Back to the yarn.... this is my second skein (well, technically, it's a hank) of Malabrigo and I have to say that Malabrigo makes the most beautiful yarn ever! I'm still in possession of the first skein (hank) I bought and look at it every once in a while to just admire its color and softness. I love Malabrigo yarn so much that I joined a group on Ravelry called "Malabrigo Junkies". Speaking of Ravelry, did you know that you can search for patterns by yarn and then use filters to narrow your search to type of project (knit or crochet), yardage, needle/hook size, etc? It's great! So I found a pattern for a scarf that is pretty simple and it turns out that I have the book it's in!

So, I wound my skein into a center pull ball with my handy-dandy ball winder and swift. (Thanks, Trevor.) Then I took out a hook and got to work! I'm completely in love with this yarn.

I'm thoroughly convinced that crocheting will help me maintain my sanity over the next couple or years or so while I work on my MLS from Simmons College GSLIS. I just hope I have time for it!

No comments: