Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Whirlwind trip to Beantown

Trevor and I drove to Boston today so that I could drop my 3 photos at Simmons GSLIS tech lab on Palace Road in the Fenway. The trip wasn't as much fun as I was hoping it would be due to lack of parking. No, not lack of parking. NO parking. We found Palace Road pretty easily and then drove around blocks and blocks and up then up to the "hospital region", as I like to call it, and then back to 300 the Fenway where Simmons is and drove around and around back to Huntington Ave to Longwood Ave and back to Palace Road for at least 30 minutes, maybe more like 40. Finally we gave up and Trevor illegally parked on Palace Road while I went and made a phone call and got let into the building. If we'd actually found a place to park I would have liked to see the Simmons College library so that I could feel all nerdy inside. But, alas, no parking.

Then, to add to our (or my, still not sure at this point) frustration, I forgot to write down the directions to the Elephant Walk Restaurant at 900 Beacon St in Boston, which according to Google Maps is .9 mile from 300 the Fenway. And, me not being very quick map reader, we turned right onto the Fenway instead of left and before we knew it we were going the wrong way, away from our destination. To make matters worse, ended up on Soldiers Field Road going west.

At this point things were getting ugly in the truck cab. Full bladders and empty stomachs, did not help the situation. Being in the nagivators's (yes, I did spell that correctly) seat, I had to make a quick decision about what to do so that we wouldn't continue to spiral out of control. We got off Soldiers Field Road and went to Harvard Square. This I could handle. I'm very familiar with Harvard Square. I even know where to find an affordable meal. We found parking right on JFK Street and walked to Algiers on Brattle Street and things were looking up. Our parking meter, which only had an hour on it, was running out of time. No time for stopping in any shops. We got right back to the truck and headed back to the turnpike. We were back in Northampton by 3:15.

2 comments:

Pam said...

You know I'm a food person and you didn't ask for directions to the restaurant?! I walk by it every day on my way in to school ;)

Nancy Little said...

Darn! I didn't even think to ask you since I thought I had the directions in my bag. Silly me.