Saturday, October 18, 2008

Big Trees Grow in Northampton

Trevor and I went on a walk at Fitzgerald Lake Conservation area this morning. We walk there regularly since it's a short drive from our house and a relatively easy walk into the lake. Today's walk was led by a Big Tree expert. We only made it about half-way to the lake since there was a lot stopping to learn about the many, many varieties of trees at Fitzgerald Lake. Above is a red oak (I think).


More magnificent trees. I was mostly interested in the color of the foliage, I have to admit. Nothing against trees, honestly, it just happens to be Autumn and the foliage is impressive.
Trevor and I have gone in search of large trees in the past, and found an impressive small forest in Stockbridge, MA called Bullard Woods. If I remember correctly, there's a huge tulip tree there, as well as magnificent white pines. Today I learned that the largest sycamore tree in MA is in Sunderland. 25' in circumference!


Pretty colors.

The tree expert teaching us about tree rings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice shrubs! ;-)