Saturday, October 11, 2008

Cape Ann Trip: Day 2

Lanesville, a village of Gloucester, was just 1/2 mile up Washington Street from our cottage. On Thursday morning we walked up there so that I could check out the local coffee shop. The coffee was OK but the coffee cake - loaded with cinnamon and chocolate chips - was YUMMY!

On our walk back to the cottage we walked down a little side street to Lanes Cove cemetery. I've always loved old cemeteries so had high hopes that this one, being right on the ocean, was going to be pretty special. I was right!

It was so peaceful, of course! Obviously the trees have grown up around the old gravestones.

I walked to the far corner of the cemetery and discovered there were several paths. Not seeing any "no trespassing" or "private property" signs I took that as a sign that it was permissible to walk out there. So we did and below is what we saw!


Lanes Cove.

In the afternoon following a scrumptious lunch of a lobster roll for me (when in Rome... or Gloucester...), and Trevor's standard breakfast (fruit and coconut) at Good Harbor beach (below) we drove to Eastern Point Light. The gabby old ladies at the visitors center in Gloucester highly recommended it but it wasn't easy to get there with all of the "no trespassing" and "private roads" signs. That didn't deter us though, we just kept going until we finally reached it. It's closed to the public and being used as a private residence now but you can walk out on the granite breakway. I walked out about 1/2 way. It was quite a windy day!

Good Harbor beach. Some claim it's the most beautiful beach in the world. Since I haven't been to all the beaches in the world I can't really say but it's pretty nice. The sand isn't as velvety as Wingaersheek beach, but it's pretty fine.

I'll take the house on the left with the yellow trim, please.

Trevor got a brief lesson in coastal geology while we were at Good Harbor beach. I wasn't lecturing. He just was asking a lot of questions. As you can see in this picture the island in the background is influencing the way the waves are hitting the shore. And I like the way the clouds are reflected in the water, too!

This is a pretty nice house too, on Good Harbor beach. My friend Heather, who lives in Beverly Farms painted this house. By painting, I mean on canvas. Not actually painted this actual house.

So, while I was there I called Heather and this is what I said:
"Hi Heathah. I'm callin you from the pahkin lot at Good Hahbah beach in Glosta. Do ya wanna meet at Lobsta Land tomorrow? Call ya latah."

No comments: