Saturday, October 25, 2008

This 'n That


OK, just to let you know right away, that's not Sarah Palin that we're chummy with. That's our friend Cathy McNally who does a fine job of impersonating Sarah Palin. Cathy's a stand-up comic and was performing at an event called "Comics for Change" which was a fundraising event for the Barack Obama campaign. Trevor's known Cathy for many, many, many years and so naturally we got a picture taken with her following the event. I'm pretty sure that Cathy didn't spend nearly as much on her wardrobe for this event as did the RNC for Sarah Palin's new wardrobe.

I've been getting regular exercise this week. We hiked into Fitzgerald Lake in Northampton; hiked to Sachem's Head in Greenfield; walked the trail in Haydenville that will some day be a bike trail; and I (alone) delivered almost 300 phone books to residents of South Deerfield. I feel like I've walked about 20 miles this week.

My mom's visiting for the weekend. We went out to Pittsfield to visit my older sister, Audrey. Her birthday (45!) was a few weeks ago. For lunch we went to a pub called the Forge Tavern. They were having a special Oktoberfest day complete with German menu and lots of beer. They were having special events for the day. One of the events was "Keg Bowling". After a little encouragement, Audrey and I went out to try our hand at "Keg Bowling". They had 2 empty kegs that were the balls and a bunch of empty cans set up as pins. I went first and knocked down 2 pins. On my second turn I got a "gutter keg". Audrey went next. She'd obviously been watching my form (and learning from my mistakes) and almost knocked down all the cans! We went back in to eat our lunch thinking that was the end of that, and silly though it was, had fun too. We were almost done eating when the guy who was organizing the Keg Bowling came back in looking for Audrey because there was "bowl off", the first time since 1987! She had to go back out and bowl against some young dude. She did really well and placed second! Her prize was a beer stein and a t-shirt. Guess all that candlepin bowling with our grandmother in the '70s has finally payed off!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Do you have pictures of this? Sounds fun!