Monday, July 21, 2008

The Answer to the Question...

A couple of people recently have asked, "So, you're not really looking for a job, are you?"

Is it because it's not the first thing out of my mouth when I talk to you that you think I'm not "really looking for a job"? Maybe...

But, the answer is "OF COURSE I AM!" It's just not all-consuming and on the forefront of my mind every day but I do spend ample time every week reading the Sunday Republican classifieds and clicking through the more than 2 dozen websites I have bookmarked under "job search" on my laptop. Just last week, I sent my resume off to Western New England College for a position in their Law Library. I also spent way too much time completing an application for a position at Springfield College in their library (I'd sent a resume and cover letter over a month ago). This week I will send my resume and a cover letter to Amherst College for a position in the Frost Library.

Last week I attended a not-so-useful workshop at the Career center called Identifying Transferable Skills. I also had a meeting with my career counselor where we both realized that I'm in a holding pattern right now while I'm waiting for a decision from Simmons College. Five area colleges (not The Five Colleges), have my resume and I'm hoping one of them will want me. I'll keep searching. But, NO, I'm not in a huge rush to get a job this week or next because I'm leaving for Maine pretty soon to spend 2 glorious weeks at the Fryeburg New Church Assembly.

I'm hoping to have a job by the time my unemployment runs out sometime in September. Does that answer your question?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I distinctly remember you making comments about not wanting a job/getting/looking for a job for an unspecified time at the point when you left your last job.
The accused, yes we do have internet in Vt.

Anonymous said...

I distinctly remember you making comments about not wanting/getting/looking for a job for an unspecified time at the point when you left your last job.
Signed; The Accused, yes we do have internet in Vt.

Is this thing on? Hello, hello, can you hear me?

Nancy Little said...

Dear Accused,
You're not the only one. Maybe you're just paranoid???
Love,
Nancy

Jim DuBois said...

That answers my questions... mainly the ones about how one goes about looking for a job, and what is a 'resume'.