Monday, July 7, 2008

Home

After spending 5 days in Bridgewater, MA attending the annual convention of the Swedenborgian Church in North America at Bridgewater State College, it was really good to come home yesterday. I've been a member of this church since I was 12 or 13. We're a tiny, minuscule Christian church whose theology is inspired by the writings of the 18th century scientist, theologian and mystic Emanuel Swedenborg. I've gotten used to the comments over the years, "Sweden-what? So, you're Swedish?" and "Swedish-borgish?" Makes me wish we never changed our name from the Church of the New Jerusalem but that's a hard one to explain to people because not many have actually read the book of Revelation (Chap 21 verse 1 - 2).

I hadn't been to a convention since 1993 or 1994 (not sure which) in Washington, DC but going to Convention after a 14 year hiatus was like going home. I was reminded while I was there that this church, because of its size, is like a huge extended family to me. Some of these people I've known since I was a teen or young adult. I've met many at retreats and summer camps at Almont and at Fryeburg. And many others at past conventions.

I had a wonderful time and hope to be at next year's convention in Seattle, WA.

2 comments:

Rose said...

Do we get to see you if/when you come out for convention next year?

Nancy Little said...

We'll see...