Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Librarian in the Making Part 2

In case you haven't heard about this somewhere else: I've been accepted at Simmons College Graduate School of Library and Information Science where I will earn a Masters in Library Science. Simmons has a long history of educating women to be librarians (they also accept men now). They were one of the first in the nation to have a library school over a century ago. My elderly friend, Betty Guiu (she's in her 80s), went to Simmons many decades ago. When I told her I applied she was thrilled for me. I know it's changed quite a bit since then! I've also had the fortune to meet current students and recent graduates, including someone I went to high school with who is now a librarian at the City Library in Springfield, MA.
I'll be attending the part-time program on the campus of Mount Holyoke College also called "GSLIS West" where Simmons has use of the Mount Holyoke College library and some of the classrooms. The main campus is located in Boston. GSLIS West has been in existence for about 4 years now. I've been told that I will likely have to take a few courses in Boston at some point in my career at Simmons. That's OK, as I still have plenty of friends in the area who I'm sure won't mind giving me a place to sleep for a night.
I'm very excited about this hope and to someday fulfill my desire to be a science librarian an academic library in the area. In the meantime, I will continue to search for a library job that doesn't require an MLS.
As my friend Kelsey said, now I can wear those beaded eyeglass necklaces! And, as I said to her in reply to that, now it'll be OK for me to wear them! I've been eyeing them since I got reading glasses about a year ago but was afraid to wear them. I'll fit right in!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Congratulations, Nancy!