Saturday, July 19, 2008

A Librarian in the Making...

"When I was about 12 years old my older sister and I made a room in our attic into a library. We called it the Attic Library and organized all of our books: fiction, non-fiction, reference (ancient encyclopedias), and even periodicals (mainly years and years of National Geographic and Life magazine). We made cards to put in the back of the books and lent them to our friends in the neighborhood. We charged a fine (a nickel a day) for late returns. We also learned, just like larger lending libraries, that not all books get returned. The Attic Library remained open most of the time in the summer from 1976 to 1978.
As I thought about library science the more I recalled that over my life I've always had a fascination with libraries, and have always been a person who is naturally very organized and likes things to be orderly. However, the idea of studying to become a librarian had never crossed my mind until 2 years ago when I took a few days off from my job. It was suddenly very clear to me that I needed to go in a different direction career-wise..."

The above is the beginning of my personal statement that I wrote for my application for Simmons College Graduate School of Library and Information Science. It'll be a few weeks until I hear a decision from them. And when I do, I'll be sure to let everyone know!

No comments: