Monday, July 28, 2008

Stormy Weather

We've been having some rather violent thunderstorms this summer. Yesterday we came home from seeing a movie in downtown Northampton to discover that another crazy storm ripped through while we were sitting in the Little (no relation) Theater of Pleasant Street Theater.
Our porch furniture was knocked around and the wicker chair that I like to sit in was upside down. The door mat at the kitchen door was MIA. Lots of good size branches were down.
When I went in the house I found that the 2 spooners that I keep on the window sill behind the dish drainer (and I don't use them to hold spoons but rather those rubber plugs for vacuum sealing wine) had been pushed off the window sill and were standing upright on the counter behind the dish drainer. Yet again, my cookbooks got a little damp since we'd left the window open near the shelves where I keep them.

We also quickly discovered that the power had gone out. Thank goodness we have a gas stove and I was able to cook dinner for us. Before we got home we stopped at the co-op and did some grocery shopping. The co-op is 1.8 miles from our house and has a good view of the valley and I-91. The highway was stopped. I learned today that during the brief and powerful storm a huge tree had been uprooted and landed on a car on I-91. The driver and passenger were taken to Bay State Medical Center in Springfield.

The play house in the backyard on our patio was flattened very much like Dorothy's house in The Wizard of Oz. All we're missing are a pair of legs poking out from under the ruins of the house. I also found a few pieces slate in our back yard from our roof shingles.

I'm a little disappointed that I wasn't at home at the time because I do LOVE a good storm! (As long as I'm safe.)

2 comments:

dad the thief said...

Is that a new house being built across the street? Dad.

Katie said...

Nancy - just wanted to share co-op happiness with you!
check out www.weaversway.coop