Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A Wicked Old Car in Island Pond, VT

One never knows what one will find on my brother's property in Island Pond, VT. He owns about 70 acres there. He built a small house there about 6 years ago. We like to joke about him being "near the grid" not really "off the grid" since he drives to East Burke to the parents' house to use the shower; do laundry; check his email; watch the Red Sox; drink beer and eat snacks.

On his property he has a brook, waterfalls, beaver ponds and even a sand pit! He's also cut lots of hiking trails around the property. The land is a drumlin - a remnant of the last glacial period (or "ice age" as some like to say; did you notice how I said "last glacial period"?) At one point the land was pasture but the trees have grown up and so far we haven't found evidence of a foundation anywhere. But perhaps the original farm house wasn't anywhere near his 70+ acres.

On Sunday when I was there for brunch, we went for walk to check out a new trail that he cut. Pete's friend Luke spied this old car in the woods and asked if it was new (?)! We went to have a closer look and it seems to me that it's becoming one with the earth. There's moss growing on it; its tires are long gone; a tree has fallen on it and even the tree is moss-covered!
Pete joked that he'd just made the last payments on the car. But the big question is: What kind of car is it? And what year?

4 comments:

dad the thief said...

it looks like it's from the late forties

dad the thief said...

Upon further investigation I am pretty sure this is a 1948 dodge sedan.

Nancy Little said...

Too bad I wasn't offering a prize!

Anonymous said...

I want to live there. I live way too far south in VT. All the junk I got on my property is a pile of rusty cans and a dead car battery, nothing cool.

Identical Don